Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Bacon Vinaigrette
- Medium Sauce pan
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sliced apples, peeled
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup Cucumbers, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 4-5 slices bacon, plus it's cooking oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- torn basil leaves
- Over medium-high heat, bring the quinoa with water to a boil. Give it a pinch of salt. Lower the heat to low, and cover with a fitting lid, and cook for 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set it aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°, and line a sheet pan with foil and bacon slices, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until crispy. Drain the oil into a jar, along with the zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Shake or stir the vinaigrette. Alternatively, if vegan or vegetarian is preferred, eliminate the bacon and bacon oil.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut the cucumber and tomatoes into cubes. Peel and slice the apple.
- In a medium-small saucepan heat up about 2-3 cups of water. Add white vinegar, and let it come to a simmer, not a boil. Swirl the water with a large spoon to create a vortex. Crack an egg into a small bowl, and slide the egg carefully into the vinegar-water. The whites will fold over the eggs. Depending on the size of the saucepan, 2 to 3 eggs can easily be cooked at the same time. Cook for 2 minutes to have a runny yolk. Using a slotted spoon, place the cooked eggs over a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Serve in individual bowls with the quinoa, cucumbers, tomatoes, and apples, and toss. Place the poached egg on top, crack some pepper and a tiny pinch of salt on top of the egg. Then drizzle the lemon vinaigrette and break some bacon to add on top. Enjoy!