Whether you’re a muffin top kinda person, these crumble blueberry muffins are bursting with flavors. Lemon, vanilla, and blueberry are a match made in heaven. I came across these foolproof muffins when a friend specifically requested blueberry muffins for her birthday.
Immediately accepting the challenge with glee, I gathered my favorite pairings and started mixing. The key to a very, and I’m going to say it, moist cake is taking the time to whip the oil with the sugar extremely well. I personally prefer oil over butter in muffins any day of the week. When gradually adding the eggs, again it needs time to be whipped into submission.
Now let’s talk about the second star of the muffin show: the crumble topping. This is when butter is invited to the show. Mixed with some flour and vanilla bean powder, and you have yourself one of the best crumble topping for blueberries… heck for any fruit-based muffins. Enjoy with hot tea, or if you’re like me, a latte!
Blueberry Vanilla Bean Crumble Muffins
- 1 ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ cup Milk of Choice
- 1 ½ cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Zest one lemon
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Vanilla bean powder or paste
- ½ cup Unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 400° degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) in a large bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk for at 1 to 2 minutes the oil, sugar, and egg.
- Add the milk along with the lemon zest and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Coat the berries with the dry ingredients. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom while baking.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Carefully fold blueberries into mix and spoon into muffin cups.
- Mix topping ingredients together with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in one comes out clean. Enjoy!