Chicken Tomatillo Soup
- Dutch Oven (or Instant Pot/Crockpot)
- Large cooking pot
- Cooking sheet
- 2-3 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 leeks
- 4 Yukon potatoes
- 8 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-8 tomatillos
- kosher salt
- black cracked pepper
- Let the chicken thighs come to room temperature. Use a paper towel to pat dry. Place to the side.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. To clean the leeks, slice, and let them soak in a bowl of water to remove dirt from its crevasse. Using your hands, swirl the leeks, and pull the slices from the water. Do not strain the water with the leeks- that would defeat the process of cleaning them. Let the cleaned leek slices rest on a dishtowel.
- Peel the carrots and potatoes, and cut them along with the onion and one garlic clove. Over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a dutch oven, and sear the leeks, onions, carrots, potatoes, and garlic clove. Add a generous pinch of salt. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- To make the broth, collect all of the scraps from the vegetables, and cook with 8 cups of water over medium-high heat. Add a generous pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Let it come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and cover with a lid. Let it cook for 20 minutes. Strain the broth into a bowl, and discard the cooked scraps.
- On a cooking sheet, add the tomatillo and the remaining 2 garlic cloves, with a drizzle of olive oil, around 2 tablespoons. Cook until the tomatillos plumpness deflates and chards a bit, about 8 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the cooked vegetables. Add the chicken pieces and bay leaves. Give it a good turn. Let it come to a boil, then lower the heat, and cook covered for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Directly add the tomatillos-garlic, along with its juices and oil to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the tomatillo to the soup, give it a good turn, and put the lid back on. This may be added at any time while cooking. After 45 minutes, the chicken will easily fall apart with a ladle. Check for seasoning by adding more salt and pepper. Can easily be stored in airtight containers for meal preps and/or freeze for up to a month. Enjoy!