There is nothing like having homemade flour tortilla. Typically I double the batch and freeze a few for days when I need to whip up some breakfast tacos or quesadillas. Super easy to make, vegan, and perfect in every way!
- 3 cups Bread Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 1/8 cups Boil Water
- 6 cups Bread Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tsp Kosher Salt
- ⅔ cup Vegetable Oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 ¼ cup Boil water
- In a mixing bowl or a standing mixer, add the flour, salt, baking powder and oil.
- I typically mix with a wooden spoon, but you can certainly use a dough hook in a mixer on low speed. The texture will resemble barely wet sand. You can squeeze it in your hand see it hold together.
- Add the boiling water, about ½ cup at a time (with the mixer on low speed). Continue adding the water until the dough comes together. A wooden spoon does the job too!
- If using your hands, remove from the bowl, and knead for 2-4 minutes until its surface is smooth. Because of the oil, it won't be a sticky dough. (For the mixer, run for another 2-4 minutes). Squeeze the dough to create dough balls. Place them in the bowl, and let them rest for 15 minutes covered with a warm, damp towel.
- Heat up a nonstick pan over medium heat. Flour the work surface, and drench the dough ball in the bread flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough, turning the dough after each roll to create a circle. I like wiping a bit more flour over the tortilla.
- Cook the tortilla on a nonstick pan until bubbles grow large. Flip over and cook again until lightly browning appears. You want to stay close by to avoid burning.
- Place cooked tortilla in either a tortilla warmer, or between dish towels. Avoid using foil or a container with a lid because this will create condensation and thus, soggy tortillas.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment