I’m a sucker for white cake. At weddings especially where the cake is over the top, I immensely enjoy a slice or two before hitting the dance floor. Making a cake at home seems so wasteful unless it’s for a crowd. So what’s a girl to do? Follow the inner voice and make a poppyseed lemon cake loaf that’s banging with almond, lemon, and vanilla flavors!
The loaf cake is an ingenious way to have your cake and eat it. Nothing is wasted, and it’s quite a treat to have with one of my special lattes. This lemon poppyseed loaf will definitely be on repeat. No more having the sudden urge on the way to work to stop at Starbucks for their loaf.
This loaf cake has some pretty epic flavors: lemon, almond, and vanilla. This holy trinity of flavors combined will leave you speechless with each bite. The creamy glaze on top is literally the summation of flavors with an added bonus of crunch. Sometimes when my inner bougie-ness appears, I’ll lightly toast the almond slices for an added depth of flavor and texture.
Regardless of how you slice this, and I’m going to say it, moist cake, you’re going to want to make and have it often. Enjoy, dear friend!
Keep a fork with you at all times just in case cake happens!
Please note: This post contains affiliate links to products I use, trust, and recommend. If you choose to purchase a helpful product using these links, I may receive a small commission for referring you – at no extra cost to you. These funds help me keep this blog up and running.
Poppyseed Lemon Loaf With Vanilla Bean Almond Glaze
- 1 ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter, melted and a little more for the loaf pan
- 1 cup Sugar, granulated
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- 1 Zest of one lemon the juice will be for the glaze
- 1 ½ tbsp Poppyseeds
- 1 cup Powder sugar
- ¼ tsp Vanilla bean powder or paste
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- ½ Juice of half a lemon
- Sliced almonds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with butter. I prefer using my hand versus a paper towel or brush.
- In a small pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Let it sit aside to cool a bit. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, along with the baking powder and kosher salt.
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer, whisk the butter and sugar in a large bowl for about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix for another 2 to 3 minutes until a slight fluffy cream.
- Then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Zest a lemon and add to the mixture and mix again.
- Alternately add the milk and flour mixture, stirring in between additions until batter is combined. Finally, stir in the poppyseeds with a spatula.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for 10 to 20 minutes in the pan, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. Note on baking time: all ovens are different, so I like to set the timer for 35 minutes to take a peak, and I use a toothpick at the 40 minutes mark. If it needs more time, I check every 2 minutes after until reaching the desired bake.
- While the loaf is cooling, whisk the powdered sugar, extracts, vanilla bean powder or paste, juice of ½ a lemon, and splash of milk until smooth. I personally like a thick glaze so feel free to add more powder sugar!
- Remove the loaf from the pan onto a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath, otherwise, you'll have a mess on your counter. Once the loaf is slightly cooled, pour the glaze and top with almond slices. Slice and enjoy with some coffee!