Homemade pizza has always been intimidating, and often unneeded when there are so many various pizza joints. Once I tried and perfected this dough, homemade pizza has never been the same. The sauce is super simple, giving it an authentic Italian meal. Often I gift “Pizza Kits” to friends to make a pie of their own at home. Have fun with your favorite toppings, and enjoy a night in! Prego!
- Cooking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- 4 ½ cups Bread flour
- 2 cups Warm water
- 1 tsp Active or Rapid Yeast
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- Olive Oil
- 1 can San Marzano Whole Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt
Any toppings you like!
- Preheat oven to 500°. Combine the warm water (not hot) with the yeast.
- Combine the yeast, flour, and water in a bowl and knead for about five minutes. Let it rest for two to three minutes with the bowl over the dough before kneading until smooth (5 minutes) and set aside for another hour.
- Drizzle some olive oil in the mixing bowl, and place the dough to rise for an hour.
- Divide either into half or 4 smaller balls and flatten with fingers to create air bubbles on a either a pizza stone or cooking sheet.
- Add some olive oil to the crust, followed with sauce, and bake for 10 minutes before adding cheese. If adding meat toppings, do so before adding cheese- bake for another two to three minutes with your favorite veggie toppings. For a more charred effects, turn the broiler on to cook for 1 minute or less.
- Add the San Marzano tomatoes into a bowl, and using your hand, squeeze the tomatoes. Add a big pinch of salt (1 tbsp). And that's it!