Quick vegetarian meals are often my favorite weeknight treat. The simplicity of the meal makes you not only feel good but also decadent. Anything in a puff pastry is magical. Add the components of savory and spicey fillings, and you have yourself a delightful and quick meal. These may also be made as appetizers since puff pastries come in various sizes. Enjoy with a side salad and a glass of wine. Cheers!
Spinach Feta Squares
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry, cut into 2 squares
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon, zest & juice
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp Basil leaves, cut
- Butter, melted for brushing over the pastry
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Prep the ingredients by smashing and cutting the garlic cloves, and zesting a lemon.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with olive oil, and cook the garlic until fragrant, 30-45 seconds. Add the spinach, salt, and pepper, and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the lemon zest, cream, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the feta, and cook until mostly melted, 2 minutes or until slightly thick, and remove from heat. Sprinkle the basil leaves.
- Dust a working counter with some flour, and unfold or place the puff pastry on top. Using a rolling pin, lightly roll out the creases, and cut in half to form 2 squares. Crumble up the wax paper, and place on top a cooking sheet, and then place the puff pastry on top.NOTE: if you prefer smaller squares, have fun with making a dozen of these or so!
- Divide the spinach mixture in half, and add to the center of the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle a little cayenne on top for extra heat!
- Fold the pastry corners to meet, pinching the dough together. They will either open up a bit or completely. Either way, it just gives the pastry a more rustic look.
- Melt some butter, and brush some on top of the pastry.
- Cook pastry for 20 minutes, depending on the oven. You want a nice golden brown color.
- Once removed from the oven, let it rests for 5 minutes, and shred some parmesan cheese on top. These are super easy to make on a quick evening dinner. Serve with a side salad and a glass of wine. Enjoy!