The phrase “vegan dessert” doesn’t initially stir enthusiasm from within. Removing the vegan jargon, desserts made with few, whole ingredients can be enticing if paired correctly: fruity, bitter, and sweet. Add nuttiness and that natural sweetness from the fruit, you forget the dessert is both vegan and healthy, making it acceptable to have several in one seating.
Now to the best part: espresso. Perhaps due to my coffee obsession, chocolate and coffee are just a match made in heaven. Using my favorite coffee subscription, Trade Coffee, you’ll instantly receive the best beans completely tailored to your coffee palettes. Get your first free bag on me! Not only are this dessert a snack and vegan, but also has a bit of a caffeine boost. Enjoy, dear friend!
Almond Espresso Chocolate Oranges
- Fill about 2-inches of water in a saucepan, and let it come to a simmer, not a boil. In a large bowl, add the chocolate chips, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan. Make sure the water in the saucepan does not touch the chocolate bowl. Use a spoon to mix while everything melts.
- Once the chocolate melts, remove it from the steaming saucepan. The coconut oil gives it a deep gloss. Now it's time to start pealing the oranges or clementines.
- Chop the almonds using a knife until small. I personally prefer some big almond pieces to add more texture.
- Peel the oranges, and separate to get the orange pieces. Create an assembly line: chocolate bowl, chopped almonds, and salt flakes. Dip one end of the orange in the chocolate to coat half of it. Place it on a baking sheet, lined with parchment. Immediately sprinkle some almond pieces and salt flakes (optional) on the chocolate ends. Fill the parchment-lined tray, and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Remove the oranges from the freezer, and enjoy immediately. For extra, I place them in the fridge for 2 days or so, meaning I have 2 more days of snaking on these desserts. This is completely vegan, and it's impossible to have just one!