Granita is an underuse dessert that needs a well deserved spotlight. Made from fresh fruits, placed in the freezer to form ice crystals, it yelds to a fluffy dessert similar to a snow cone, but way better. This for me takes the cake over sorbet, which tends to be denser. Light is right!
I first had a granita in Paris (granité), and again in Italy (granita). I was done for after once taste. Ever since, it was my life mission and goal to recreate it at home with seasonal fruits. So far strawberries are my favorite. But really any fruit is going to be absolutely delicious. The mint adds a bit more freshness, and to take it to a completly different level, add some vanilla bean powder.
And I didn’t stop there! Simple add some booze (in this case rum or gin) with some pellegrino to create a cocktail. Cheers!
Strawberry Mint Granita
- 1 pint Strawberries
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 6-7 Mint leaves
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- pinch Kosher Salt
Strawberry Mint Granita Spritzer
- 1 shot Rum or Gin
- 1 cup Pellegrino (or any sparkling water)
- In a blender or food processor, puree the strawberries. It yields to about 2 to 3 cups. Add the mint leaves and pulse a few times until well combined with little green specks.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, and mint. Also add a small pinch of salt. Blend until the mint is finely chopped. EXTRA FLAVOR- added vanilla bean powder for an extra kick! I highly recommend having this on hand. A little goes a long way!
- Pour the mixture into a metal baking pan and place it in the freezer.
- After about 45 minutes, frozen crystals will start to form. Using a fork, scrape to create a slushy texture. Return to the freezer, and repeat the method every 2 hours until completely frozen.
- Use a fork to scrap the strawberry granita into shavings. I personally prefer it to be a little more slushy, so I let the pan sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. Serve in bowls or cold glasses!
Strawberries Mint Granita Spritzer
- Put some of the strawberry granitas in a cold glass, pour a shot of rum or gin, and top off with sparkling water, such as Pellegrino. Now you have yourself an amazing cocktail!